okay the long awaited tanning post
first things first, some of you are probably looking to get a “base” tan at a tanning salon before roasting yourself in the real sun so you don’t get a nasty ass sunburn. this is usually a good choice because it is more controlled and you going in a tanning bed for 5-6 minutes your first time most likely isn’t going to burn you like the sun would!
honestly there is no such thing as a “safe” tan, unless its fake. there are plenty of good fake tanners out there that look exactly the same as a real tan- st tropez/ st moriz. and as far as salon fake tan goes, mystic/ versa spa etc whatever yeah yeah you get the idea
no matter how many personal testimonies people give you, or how many precautions you may take, tanning is dangerous and melanoma is becoming more and more widespread (especially with younger girls) so you really have to put thought into what you’re doing before you go through with it. always keep in mind before you decide to take the leap to tan skin, (ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NEW TO TANNING SALONS!!) “am i still going to be happy with myself when i am pale again? or am i going to care so much that i am going to keep tanning because it makes me look good?”
SO PLEASE JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND.
and don’t be a fucking idiot when it comes to tanning. science rules over someone at a tanning salon telling you you’re not going to get cancer. its fact that eventually if you keep tanning, the percentage is high enough that you will probably get some type of skin cancer due to tanning if you do it throughout your life.
ALRIGHT NOW YOU HAVE DECIDED THAT YOU WANT A TOASTY TAN AND DON’T REALLY CARE ABOUT GETTING CANCER OR WHATEVER OR SKIN DAMAGE OR LOOKING OLD AND LEATHERY AND SUNSPOTS AT THE AGE OF 30 (yes i am trying to discourage you because tanning really is addictive and its really not good for you, yeah you get vitamin D but that is about it…. you could really just take supplements for that… just try to be happy with your skin BUT IF YOU WANT A SUMMER GLOW THEN OKAY!!!!!!!! I GOT YOUR BACK!!)
REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR HAIR UP/ GO NAKED/ AND REMOVE ANY UNWANTED JEWELRY OR CRAP SO YOU DON’T GET NASTY TANLINES. AND PLEASE DON’T DO THOSE STICKERS THEY ARE SO CHEESEY AND I WILL JUMP OFF A CLIF IF YOU DO BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE A DISEASE AND I SPENT SO MUCH TIME MAKING THIS POST. PLEASE DO ME AND HUMANKIND A FAVOR AND DO NOT PUT ON NASTY ASS STICKERS SO YOU CAN HAVE AN EMBARRASSING SHAPED TANLINE THANK YOU THANKS THANKY THANK
for beginning tanners:
if you are pale as HECK, i would totally recommend getting a tanning membership so you can be in a controlled environment. the first visit you go, do about 5 minutes then increase it by 1 minute each time you go (more/less depending on how your skin is reacting). most tanning salons have regulations on how often you can go (usually not more than once within a 24 hour time period). don’t feel rushed or obligated to use EVERY SINGLE DAY that you have on your tanning membership, you will get pretty frickin dark within like 13 sessions no matter how pale you are right now. IF YOU GET BURNED, DON’T GO THE NEXT DAY! wait it out until your skin is back to feelin normal then you are a-ok
also most tanning salons sell really over priced lotions (and most prohibit outdoor tanning lotions because the oils or whatever eat the acrylic of the bed) but you can get good ones at Sally’s beauty supply, but the lotions at the salons are better and smell better bUT THEY ARE SO FLIPPIN EXPENSIVE be ready to fork out 30-60 dollars for just ONE BOTTLE!!!
-make sure you exfoliate at least once a week
- use an accelerator tanning lotion right before you hop in the tanning bed (if you use a lotion with bronzer you will probably look orange and streaky, especially if you are really pale right now)
- moisturize every time you get out of the shower (MOISTURIZE A LOT because it helps to extend the life of your tan!)
alright even if you are not new to a tanning salon, you still wanna start out slow especially if you haven’t been in the sun for a while.
- start out at 6/7 or 8 minutes depending on your current skin tone and how badly you burn
- if you are pale, use an accelerator, if you are like kinda tanish or whatever use a bronzer.
- exfoliate at least once a week
- load up on moisturizer
expert tanners u ratchet hoes like me:
ok so if you are already tan but want to get your darkest, follow these bad boy steps yeah and soon you will look like a boston market chicken
- EXFOLIATE/shave/ everything be completely smooth
- use black bronzer and use tingle lotions (bronzer lotions add color and the tingle lotions will help to bring the blood in your skin to the surface so you can get a darker tan)
- moisturize like a nazi
- do full time /etc
ok so basically indoor tanning is pretty simple and usually you have NO SPF when you tan there.
***REMEMBER*** YOU CAN USE INDOOR TANNING LOTION OUTSIDE, BUT YOU CANNOT USE OUTDOOR TANNING LOTION INSIDE
tips for outdoor tanning:
best time to tan: anywhere between 10am-3pm because that is when the UV rays are at their highest (i usually like to tan at 1-2ish because where i live that is when they peak)
- decide what kind of tanlines you want and either try to stick to that swimsuit or switch it up everytime you tan outside (i hate tanning in different swimsuits because then you get all sorts of tanlines goin on and it just looks really gross so i wear similar ones each time)
- try not to wear bracelets/rings and crap like that because it is gonna give you a tanline
- PUT YOUR HAIR UP!!!!!!!!!!! you are gonna get super sweaty and when you FLIP to your back you dont want your hair covering any part of your body
- when you flip to tan your back, take off your top. its ok no one will care you are safe dont worry just dont really do it at the pool or whatever because you will get dirty looks
IF YOU ARE PASTY PALE: use lotions, preferably some with some SPF so you don’t get burnt to a crisp, or just really watch the time that you are outside for. i would recommend like 10-15 mins for your front and backside for a few days and just see if you get burned or not! (that is, without spf and just either an accelerator or outdoor tanning lotion that you can pick up at walmart or wherever, it doesn’t really matter)
IF YOU DON’T BURN/ ALREADY HAVE A BASE TAN:
tanning oils tanning oils tanning oils. they will get you soooo dark in the fastest amount of time possible. there are continuous spray bottles/squirt bottles/ and regular bottles (and there is even a dry oil too that is kinda like a wax, but i love it so much more than the regular oils because you don’t get that nasty greasy feel!!!!)
rub yourself down and lay on your front for about 30 mins to an hour, and the same amount of time on your back!
and heck even crack out a tingle lotion
OKAY I HOPED THIS HELPS, sorry it is super messy but it was a really big post and i didnt want to have to be super paranoid about proper grammar and punctuation and stuff like that JUST TRYNA GET MY POINT ACROSS HOLLER